I am looking to volunteer at programs where I can teach here in the U.S.A. or abroad, preferably for a year. But I’m having trouble finding programs that don’t require a lot of experience (sorry Peace Corps) and have a good reputation (i.e. Mercy Corps). If you or someone you know has done programs like these, please comment on the questions I have provided below to help me in my search! Thanks so much for you help.
Questions about ESL/Teaching Programs
- How do you find out about/search for programs?
- How do you determine which ones are good programs?
- Where are most teaching positions found (in terms of countries/cities)?
- Have you tried looking for positions through the Café sites?
- Are they legit? (or is more like Craigslist)
- What is the application process like?
- Have you encountered any ones that were hard?
- Which part of the process is the most difficult?
- How do you determine the difficulty of the program’s selection process?
- For example, the Peace Corps is very hard.
- Have you applied to programs where you had to fund-raise for your position?
- How hard was it?
- Would you suggest applying to programs that cover all (or most) of your costs?
- Would you suggest applying to programs that pay you an annual salary instead?
- Is it difficult to apply to other programs to continue your teaching while you’re currently teaching?
- How hard is it to budget?
- Whether or not you’re on a weekly stipend or annual salary?
- Do you travel much when you’re there to other cities/countries?
- What are ways you become culturally integrated?
- Have you ever lived with a host family for one of the programs?
- What’s the best/worst program you worked in?
- Same for living situation.
- Any problems you encountered that hindered or negatively affected your stay?
- Is it difficult to live without some of the amenities?
- i.e. electricity, water, etc.
- What’s the best moment you had when you’re teaching?
- What’s the worst moment you had when you’re teaching?
- How do you adapt your teaching methods to each classroom?
- Do people in the program hang out with each other a lot?
- What are Extra Curricular Activities you do while you’re teaching?
- Is it difficult to stay in touch with family and friends?
- Why did you apply to these teaching programs?
- What would your advice be when searching and applying to these programs?
- Feel free to add in anything you think is important that has not been covered.